Monday, February 20, 2012

Returning from the West(ern States Communication Conference)

I flew back this morning from Albuquerque, NM where the 83rd annual convention of the Western States Communication Association (WSCA) is being held. It is a smaller, regional conference, but it takes place in my home: the West. And though the West is a very general area in this regard, I take it to be any place including and between the West Coast and the Mountain States (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico). But the part of the West I like best is high altitude desert, or in Forest Service-speak: Pinyon-Juniper woodland (PJ, for short). I spent the weekend in the heart of it.

While there I delivered a short paper on the rhetoric of early labor activist Sarah G. Bagley to probably the fullest room I have ever seen at a conference (also a rather small room, so to say standing-room-only might be a little misleading). I can report that Rhetoric and Public Address is alive and well in the West. In fact, it is the largest interest group at WSCA. I attended the conference with a close friend who studies organizational communication. He reported that Org. Comm (as it is known by its adepts) is a significantly smaller interest group at WSCA. Being concerned about its prospects, he and I spent some time wondering why: Why is Org. Comm smaller than Rhetoric, especially as there appears to be so many more jobs available in Org. Comm? While discussing various reasons I came up with the rather bold, if unsubstantiated (but totally testable) claim:
There is an inverse relationship between the number of panels submitted to an interest group and that interest group's prospects on the job market.
My armchair data is this: By most accounts, there are a lot of job openings in organizational communication, whereas there are fewer job openings in rhetoric (even fewer in public address). I don't think I quite convinced my friend, but what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting hypothesis.....and I think you might be right about the current demand for organizational comm scholars. The job postings on CRNET are full of org comm positions, and its been a minute since I've seen a public address job.

    So, what should we do? Should we curb our studies to meet what we think the job market demands are at the moment? Or perhaps is it time to start thinking about non-academic jobs? Or, should we just have faith that jobs will be there when we graduate?

    ReplyDelete